Conference in Honour of Georg Henrik von Wright’s Centennial Anniversary
Extended Call for Papers:
The Philosophical Society of Finland and the University of Helsinki / The Academy of Finland Center of Excellence in the Philosophy of Social Science (TINT) invite contributions to an international conference in honour of the centennial anniversary of Georg Henrik von Wright (1916-2003). During his long career, von Wright was Professor at the University of Helsinki in 1946-1961, Ludwig Wittgenstein’s successor at the University of Cambridge in 1948-1951, a member of the Academy of Finland in 1963-1986, and the President of the Philosophical Society of Finland in 1962-1973. He contributed influentially on a wide variety of philosophical fields, such as induction and probability, modal and deontic logic, philosophy of science, action theory, ethics, philosophy of law, and philosophy of mind. He was also widely known as an inspiring intellectual and cultural personality though his eloquent and critical essays on humanism, human rights, peace, and tolerance.
The conference will be organized in the University of Helsinki, Finland, on May 18-20, 2016. It is immediately preceded on May 16-17 by a conference on Wittgenstein and Pragmatism, jointly organized in Helsinki by the Nordic Pragmatism Network and the Nordic Wittgenstein Society. The centennial conference “The Human Condition” starts with the 3rd Georg Henrik von Wright Lecture on May 18 at 5 p.m.
The 3rd Georg Henrik von Wright Lecture:
- Cora Diamond (University of Virginia)
- Lilli Alanen (University of Uppsala)
- Eugenio Bulygin (University of Buenos Aires) [Abstract]
- Alberto Emiliani (University of Helsinki) [Abstract]
- Joachim Schulte (University of Zurich) [Abstract]
- Georg Meggle (University of Leipzig and University of Cairo) [Abstract]
Download the Programme [updated 18 April 2016]
- Contributions related to G. H. von Wright’s work on human action, philosophy of law, ethics, philosophy of psychology, and humanism are encouraged.
- An abstract of no more than 500 words should be submitted electronically through the Easychair system at https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=vonwright100. Only one abstract per person may be submitted.
- Deadline for submission: February 15, 2016
- Date of notification of acceptance: March 15, 2016
- Ilkka Niiniluoto, Sami Pihlström, Risto Vilkko, Thomas Wallgren.
- Contact email: ilkka.niiniluoto (at) helsinki.fi
- Selected papers from the conference will be published in a special volume of the book series Acta Philosophica Fennica